Thursday, August 7, 2008

One week to go and I haven't picked my travel books!

This is a big deal for the nerd that I am. You know I can't go anywhere without a book (or books). And I'm having trouble deciding what to bring in the way of fiction (preferably Latin American) and non-fiction (just about anything, but if it relates to Latin American history, all the better). The only other requisite is that the book be relatively light and small (e.g., Penguin editions and not the Riverside Shakespeare). Suggestions anyone?

I'm also soliciting suggestions as to ways one might occupy the active (devious) mind of a 6-year-old on interminable and potentially tedious bus rides...Pete stop laughing.

3 comments:

Kelly Hudgins said...

I am stunned. Floored. Wordless. No books?

You are, of course, taking an iPod? Download entire seasons of TV shows (Anna is on a old-version Scooby-Doo thing right now) for emergencies.

And he needs a small journal or Moleskine (ones that lie flat are best) and a set of the Crayola brand colored pencils that twist up and therefore do not need a sharpener. Brilliant invention.

Freebird said...

I've already downloaded some television programming onto my iPod. The trick will be to convince the mother to permit me to expose the media-starved little one to mind-destroying tee-wee. No Scooby-Doo...yet. And incredibly this very morning, before I read your comment, I purchased a set of the colored pencils "that twist up and therefore do not need a sharpener." Even come in their own case (so run less of a chance of being scattered across the bus floor). Thanks.

Kelly Hudgins said...

Considering all the possibly routes to corruption, I say a little Scooby-Doo never hurt anybody! Just a little dose 'o crack here and there, right?